Wing and Fuse cores to build a Nurf
This is the foam cores only. You will need to source the kit parts as listed in the Requirements below.
The Nurf is an all EPP forward swept flying wing that is designed to be flexible enough to hold all your gear for aerial photos/video/FPV flight, and be tough enough to take serious abuse. Tired of needing a catapult to launch your big wings? Look no further. The Nurf is easily hand launched. The design is also flexible enough for landing gear, or even bungee launch if you prefer. The Nurf can handle it all.
The Nurf is very stable in the air and has a great speed range. We’ve even had it out in 25mph gusts and it handled it all well. Please note: The Nurf is not a trainer. It’s close, but it’s optimized for better efficiency in cruise so enjoys maintaining energy. It will slow down, but not as slow as a good trainer. It goes where you point it, but will not return to straight and level without pilot input. We think it’s a great second plane. You’ve been warned. Now order one and go have fun!
Nurf with GoPro: http://youtu.be/4P5MrtXFOxs
Nurf with landing gear (wheels and skis): http://youtu.be/jtTMHnrsHpI
Update 10/21/13: Addition of fiberglass tape and bamboo skewers has been added to written instructions but is not covered in the build videos.
- 1.9# EPP wing and 1.3# EPP fuse (white or black)
- Span: 72″
- Length: 30″
- Width: 4.5″ (max width of fuse easily holds a small camera in the foam)
- Flying Weight: ~55-75 oz (depends on motor, battery and all your gear)
- Builds in a weekend. Some pocketing required to customize for your gear.
- 1.9# EPP, 3 piece cores
- 0.19″ Spar slots (top and bottom)
- 1.3# EPP
- CNC wing saddle and tail slot
- Cut in half vertically for easy interior access
- Radio/receiver with elevon mixing
- 2 mini servos (We like the Hitec 82MG)
- Motor: 300+ watt electric power (we like 75 watts per pound of flying weight for average performance)
- Battery: 5000 mAhr 3S lipo or 4350+ mAhr 4s lipo (Nurf has flown with as much as a 9000mAhr 3S)
- Electronic Speed Control: Match to your motor (40+ amps would not hurt)
- Prop: 9″ for ground clearance (12″ max to clear vertical stabilizer, but you might want a folder or add landing gear for ground clearance)
- Options: Folding prop and spinner
- (6) .188″ carbon fiber tube spars
- (4) Steel joiners (pre-bent)
- (12ft) 5 mil lamination film (to cover the wing and fuse)
- (3ft) 1.7 mil lamination film (to cover/hinge the elevons)
- (1) 4mm coroplast vertical stab (top/bottom)
- (2) 2-56 Threaded rods and nylon clevis
- (2) Nylon control horns
- (2) 2-56 quick connectors
- (2) 1/4″ Balsa elevons
- (1) 3/32″ birch ply firewall
- (1) Mylar hatch
- (1) .188 carbon fiber tail pin
- 3″ wide fiberglass tape
- (2) Bamboo skewers